Monday, January 12, 2015

Busy, busy, busy

As I go into my second week of interning and taking class at Birbeck University, I shall tell you about how my first week went.  So last time I left you we were all on the bus for London.  When we got here we finally got to see where we would be calling home for the next few months.  I have to say I was a little surprised at first, along with a few others, but I have learned to love it!  We actually get a lot of room and everything else is pretty nice, besides the $6 laundry.  Anyways, on Sunday we unpacked and just relaxed after going non-stop the past few days.  I still couldn't believe that we had only left the US 5 days earlier, it felt like we have been gone for at least 3 weeks!  I ended up going to bed early, because we had a really busy day on Monday.  So I must have the worst luck ever, because when I woke up the next morning I felt horrible and later found out that I had food poisoning.  This is the first time this has ever happened to me and of course it would happen on the day that I had so much running around to do.  We had orientations, a three hour class, and we also had to get our phones and Oyster card to ride the tube.  I don't know how but I managed to get through it all. 

I started my internship on Tuesday morning.  I was so nervous about getting lost, and of course I did.  I ended up asking like three cafe's for directions, but in the end I got there, and on time.  The neighborhood I am in is really nice and it has a homey vibe to it.  I am interning at a high-end residential design firm called Sporadic Space.  There are six other employees there and I found out that each one of them is from a different country outside of the UK.  I though this was really interesting and I am excited to learn about all of their different cultures and backgrounds. 

After my internship and had to make my way back to Birkbeck University for another orientation and that is when I got so lost that I was wondering around for at least half an hour.  I never realized how big London actually is.  Again after asking a few people, I made it.  I'm sure this will not be my last time to get lost, but I am learning to just embrace it, who knows I might find something new and interesting on the way.

This semester my schedule consists of interning Monday-Wednesday while also having two classes, one on Monday and one on Thursday.  Since these classes are only one day a week they last for three hours, which is complete torture.  At least the classes I am taking, Art and Architecture and Shakespeare, are interesting.  It is nice have a three day weekend because it will give us extra time to travel and plan things.  This past weekend a group of us walked down Oxford Street which is a huge shopping Street.  We also visited a couple markets around here.  I really like going to markets and I can't wait to go to more!  You can find so many unique things and it is kind of fun to bargain with the sellers. 

On Sunday our Point group all went to see Big Ben and the London Eye.  It was an absolute gorgeous day out, too bad the London Eye was getting repaired.  I got some really cool pictures of these places and of course I had to take the cliché selfie.  I still can't believe that I am in London and that I am able to visit all of these famous landmarks.  This trip is definitely making me want to travel more and I haven't even left yet!  Now that I have wifi I will definitely try to keep you all more updated on want I am doing, but if you ever want to contact me just send over a message on Facebook.  Talk to you all later :)



                      -Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment